Translate

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Scattershooting 07-27-14


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great



Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week

I haven't had this happen to me, but I have been buzzed, yelled and honked at and cut off at intersections. It's usually teenagers or rednecks (same maturity level) in a pickup truck. It amazes me how brave some people are when they are in a 5,000 lb. vehicle harassing a person on a 20 or 30 lb. bicycle or even a pedestrian wearing a 1 lb. pair of Nikes. Not sure if the truck in this video has a rolling coal modification or just a poorly maintained diesel. It does sound like crap. There are about 30 cyclist that this jerk smoked in the video.

Here's what happens when you follow an obscure sport. I set my DVR to record the 15th stage of the Tour de France (TDF). A fake golf tournament among old retired sports guys and some quasi celebrities with one of those wacky scoring systems (a point for this, 3 points for that, 6 points for something else, 107¾ points for a double quadruple eagle pigeon, etc.) was delayed by rain. So naturally NBC Sports preempted the premier cycling race of the year for a fake golf event.

















The injuries keep on coming. Remember the strange situation of four catchers on the Rangers active roster? Well, we are down to three. Geovany Soto, who missed the first half of the season with knee surgery just got off the DL after the all-star break is back on the DL.
GO RANGERS! (to the infirmary)
Geovany Soto
These beverage containers for your bike are nice, but the beer caddy is $55 and the one for wine is $36. Genuine leather. That's a lot of money to carry PBRs or Ripple.





















It appears that Facebook and the internet are able to survive without me. Because of circumstanced that were completely within my control, by choice, I have been mostly off the internet since Thursday. Just quick checks of emails and glances at other stuff. It was refreshing. Spent a few days with very good company doing fun stuff. Managed to come home from some Shreveport gambling with more money that I took. More than enough to pay for the meals, gas, etc. Always fun, but even better when you win.

Apparently my socks haven't thought this far ahead.

Let's have a duet for this #SongSunday. This song reached #1 in 1986. It was written by Burt Bacharach and his former wife Carole Bayer Sager. It turned out to be the biggest single ever for both singers. While both singers can tend to oversing at times, this number is more restrained. As a result it's a great rendition of a sad song with a well done video. Here is On My Own by Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald.

 

There aren't too many blue laws left on the Texas books but this one hangs on. You can not buy beer or wine anywhere until noon on Sunday, 10:00 AM if it's with brunch. I needed groceries & beer so I had to wait until it got hot to ride to the store. Temperatures were bearable early this morning but damn hot by noon. My bike computer showed 107° on the way home from Kroger. Blue Laws can kill, repeal all Blue Laws.
 

I forgot to mention that after we got back from Shreveport we went to Matt's for dinner (after a dead battery adventure). Very good food, beverages and service once again. We forgot to ask for the senior discount and I'm sure our server didn't mention it because we look so young. We walked through Whole Foods after we ate. I was underwhelmed. Some good stuff, but nothing special except the higher prices. Looking forward to Sprouts opening in a few days.



wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment