Translate

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Scattershooting 04-19-15

Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great


Sunday's Summary

My incomplete recap of the week

The new image at the top of this post is in honor of the original Scattershooter. Blackie Sherrod was still a sports columnist when I moved to D/FW. He wrote for both the The Dallas Times-Herald and later the Dallas Morning News when the Times-Herald folded. His Sunday columns always started - "Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to ..." Those columns were a collection of short thoughts, insights and observations. Blackie was a wonderful writer and his Sunday columns were always a must read highlight of the paper. He is revered by sports writers everywhere. This is the first image I have found that shows Blackie's claim to the title. I hope he doesn't mind that I stole his bit for this weekly conglomeration of my thoughts.



A very provocative scenario from Dilbert's dad. Worth considering because the technology is coming.

Human Rights for Robots


Watching the Angels-Rangers game. As usual, Mike Scioscia proves he is one of the biggest pain in the ass whiners in baseball. Must be taxing to be that pissed off all the time.

Happy Birthday Dave (4/13). He is now the same age as me. This is his last birthday as host of The Late Show. We're going to miss you.

The Letterman show had a definite Texas flavor on Monday (4/13). Dallas native and reigning Masters champion, Jordan Spieth, was a guest. Texas legend Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel were the musical guests. Good stuff.

We lost Percy Sledge today (4/14). We all know his big hit When A Man Loves A Woman. It was a #1 chart topper in 1966 and is considered a rock and R&B classic. Percy was only 74 years old, too young to die. RIP -

Apparently I have some ants that are trying to build and move into a high rise. I noticed that one of my solar garden lights was half full of dirt. First thought was that the local kids had done it since they are always knocking them over. Took the top off to empty it only to find it was an ant bed. Only a couple of ants in it. Wonder if the queen gets the penthouse.


If you owe the IRS money for 2014 and didn't file a return, you are late and they will punish you. If you did file, are due a refund or don't owe anything, have a happy April 16th.

Looks like I have an injured mourning dove on my patio. When I checked my mail I noticed some feathers in front of the bushes that line the patio. There is a disheveled looking dove on the patio table just sitting there. Hasn't moved from that spot for an hour. He does move his head and I can see him blinking. I don't want to get closer and scare him. We do have a couple of feral cats around.
Here is the mourning dove update. After a couple of hours and no major movement, I took a couple of photos. The feathers on the ground were the first sign of trouble. As you can see there is some damage on his right side. I think there was a scratch on the head too. I tried to put some water and birdseed on the table but he flew off. Hope that's a good sign and he pulls through.





Today was my bird day, besides the mourning dove saga I fed the ducks at Boys Ranch this morning. Today it was Jewish rye and tortillas. Don't know if the ducks are Jewish or Mexican or maybe Mexican Jews but they seemed to enjoy it. In related news, it was a big day at the Boys Ranch construction site. A dozen or more workers and four or five cement mixers on site. Still a long way to go.


This is a new one. I knew DWB (driving while Black) was a serious crime. I never realized that BWB (biking while Black) was also a criminal offense.

Tampa police accused of unfairly targeting black bicyclists

Here we are again at ‪#‎SongSunday‬. I watched Jersey Boys last night so of course today's selection is from the Four Seasons. I was born just across the Passaic River from Frankie Valli although a few years later so I guess I am officially a Jersey Boy too. It is impossible to pick one song. Between the group and Frankie Valli's solo efforts, they had 39 (I repeat, 39) top 40 hits. The movie isn't great, but it is interesting. The music is great. I decided to post this live medley of their early hits. Great stuff. -
wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment