Translate

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Scattershooting 09-21-14


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great


Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week


The Bacon Brothers Band was on Craig Ferguson tonight (9/16). They sang a good song from their new album, 36¢. Most bands fronted by celebrities are bad (see Russell Crow or Kevin Costner) but these guys are pretty good. They have been together for 20 years. Couldn't find the song they did tonight, but here is one from another visit to the Late Late Show. Hey, everybody likes Bacon.

Here is a potpourri for this #TBT - The first photo is of my fraternal grandfather from 1909. He is the one in the middle with the suit and bow tie. I don't know the occasion or location but I would guess it's the Jersey shore or Long Island. This is the only picture I have found of Grandpa Holmes who died when I was about 1½. The second picture is Sr. Paul Joseph from 1953. She was my first exposure to Catholic education as my kindergarten (called pre primer back then) teacher at Queen of Peace school. The final picture is from Jax Beach in late 1953 with my biker gang. I'm the little guy on the right.


Something is not right. I grew up in Florida and was used to the humidity. I now live in North Texas where it shouldn't be as humid. This morning it is terribly humid in Jacksonville at 85%. Just checked the D/FW humidity and it is 88%. Must be part of global humidity change.

Good idea, I hate dogs on bikes chasing me -

Time for #SongSunday. This number was released in 1958 and made it to #1 on the R&B chart and #7 on Billboard's Top 100. You don't hear it much since even oldies radio rarely goes back beyond the 60's. Berry Gordon, founder of Motown, was one of the song's writers. It was recorded by Jackie Wilson. A sad story is that Jackie suffered a heart attack in 1975 while singing the song on Dick Clark's show. He never fully recovered and died in 1984. Here is Jackie's rendition of Lonely Teardrops.


wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment