Translate

Monday, September 1, 2014

Scattershooting 08-31-14


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great



Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week

I made a tactical mistake this morning, the first day of school (8/25). I live across the street from an elementary school. Class starts at 8:00. I headed out on my bike at 7:50. Kids, parents, cars and buses everywhere. Took a while to get through it. Of course there was one impatient driver who almost got me when they crossed a double yellow line to gain a two car advantage. Hope all the little ones got to class safely.

There is a local chiropractor who advertises on TV. That's OK I guess, but the emphasis of the commercials is the treatment of diabetes. Is that really a good idea for your care? I think an endocrinologist might be a better choice.
Saw a little of the Emmys. I don't really care who or what wins and haven't seen most of the nominated shows. Two thoughts, the Emmy Award Show gave an award for something to the Tony Award Show. That seems a little incestuous to me. Secondly, we lost a lot of TV folks this year, many of who I had forgotten. I'll miss James Garner the most. Billy Crystal's tribute to Robin Williams was touching.

I have only myself to blame. I created my own earworm. For #SongSunday I posted "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" by Dusty Springfield and an alternate version by Elvis. They both keep spinning in my brain. I'm a Dusty fan, but I know Elvis brought a smile to a special friend.
Gotta love Texas. Don't think this will fit on my bike.

Walked around Tara today for the first time in a few weeks. Little Bear Creek is more like Little Bear Mud. Only a couple of places had any water and none of it flowing. Saw an armadillo and it wasn't pancaked on the road. It was foraging for breakfast in the shrubs. Went by Covenant Academy and of course they are under construction.

Cops shouldn't be exempt from "no texting" laws. Please, keep your eyes on the road, not your phone, tablet or computer. A rider & bike don't stand much chance against a two ton vehicle.

No charges for LASD deputy who fatally struck cyclist while typing on computer

Here is a very jazzy and mellow song by the great Stevie Ray Vaughan. Not the usual Southern blues/rock he's noted for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjDOjSmwjKg

Quick brake job this morning before a ride. Think I'll be able to stop a little better now. Found and fixed a squeak too.

August 30th was International Bacon Day. Everything tastes better with bacon so it shouldn't be hard to celebrate.
ESPN GameDay was in Sundance Square, downtown Fort Worth, Saturday. It is getting to be a regular stop for ESPN shows.
 





















Food warning for this Labor Day weekend. Do not under any circumstances buy Nolan Ryan Hot Dogs for your holiday grilling or any other time. Also, if you find yourself at a Rangers game on $1 Nolan Ryan hot dog night, pay extra and find a brat or some other sausage. Bad taste, bad texture, bad skin and bad color. I ate one and threw the rest of the package away. Love Nolan the ballplayer, not a fan of Nolan the hot dog maker.
If you get a chance listen to or go see the Royal Southern Brotherhood. It's a side project of Cyril Neville and Devon Allman. Two great musical families. Saw them live at the Bedford Blues and BBQ Festival. Great music.

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment