Translate

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Scattershooting 08-24-14


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great



Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week

I'm so glad all the news networks provide this service -

Why didn't I think of this before? Rummaging around the kitchen for supper ideas and kinda felt like some fish. What to go with it? Light bulb went on. I made fish tacos. I love fish tacos and usually order them at Fuzzy's, but never made them at home. Almost always have what's needed to make them. Easy and turned out delicious so I'm sure to make them again many times in the future.

Nice tribute to Robin Williams on Letterman tonight (8/18). They were friends for 38 years and he appeared on Dave's shows 50 times. Dave even appeared on Mork & Mindy. RIP Robin.

Needing someone is like needing a parachute. If they are not there the first time you need them, the chances are you won't be needing them again.
- Scott Adams

I like the story of Mo'ne Davis and her quest for the Little League title. I even understand Sports Illustrated putting her on the cover. But this article may be jumping the shark. Projecting a 13 year old female phenom to having women in the major leagues is a huge leap. I was a very good 13 year old baseball player. Unfortunately, that was probably my peak. A lot of things change between 13 and 20. Hormones, growth (or lack of it), other interests, injuries, etc. Maybe one day there will be a woman in the major leagues but not in the foreseeable future. Calm down folks.

Cinderella has left the ball(game) without Prince Charming. Mo'ne Davis and her South Philadelphia team were eliminated from the Little League World Series tonight. It was a good game. I hope now that ESPN, SI and the rest of the media has exploited a 13 year old girl that she can go back to being a normal kid. Love the story, hate the hype. It is very hard to remain an innocent and naive youngster these days.

Is there an expiration date on this whole ice bucket challenge thing? I hope so and I hope it is soon. Continue to support your favorite charity and/or cause, but do it without the ice.

For ‪#‎SongSunday‬. Here is a song from 1966 that I always thought was a pop tune originally written years before. In fact it is the English translation of a 1965 Italian song ("Io che non vivo (senza te)" - "I, who can't live (without you)"). It turned out to be the biggest hit for this British star who rode the wave of the British invasion of the 60's but was always more of a pop, blue eyed soul singer. It has been covered by many artists including Elvis. Regardless of which genre you put her or the song in, it is one of my favorites. Enjoy You Don't Have To Say You Love Me by the great departed Dusty Springfield.


Here's the Elvis version too -

If you are a baseball fan, I hope you saw some of the Little League World Series. Kids playing a great game. Today South Korea beat South Chicago for the championship in a good game. Memories that will last all the participants a lifetime.

I'm looking forward to this. The Bedford Blues & BBQ Festival is Labor Day weekend (8/29-31). It is usually hot and always fun. I particularly want to go Saturday night to see Royal Southern Brotherhood. They are a sometimes group that includes Devon Allman (Gregg's son) and Cyril Neville (Neville Brothers). I am a huge Neville Brothers fan and love the Allman Brothers. Two iconic musical families. Lots of other great music, BBQ & beer. Hope to see you there.

Apparently the world will survive. The recent earthquake in Northern California didn't wipe out the Napa Valley wine industry. Some damage but not devastating. Think I'll have a beer.
School begins tomorrow (8/25) for most D/FW school districts. As usual, it will be a mess on the roads. More kids, more cars, school buses, bikes and many frenzied drivers. Please be careful and remember, no cell phones in school zones. Watch out for that old fart on a bike in Bedford too, I'll be on the road around 7:30.

Double trouble in Country Meadows this morning. During our walk we first spotted a house with a huge tree that had been TP'd. Then we noticed that a house across the street had been flocked. Active neighborhood. Time for the kids to get back to school and do homework. 

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment