Translate

Monday, May 11, 2015

Scattershooting 05-10-15

Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great 


Sunday's Summary

My incomplete recap of the week

Monday update. Just got the Android 5.1.1 OTA update this morning for my Nexus 7 (2013). Pretty small update, about 18 mb. Let's see how this works. I did have a few 5.1 glitches with WiFi and lockups.

This ‪#‎MusicMonday‬ song is a continuation of last week's theme when I posted Reminiscing by Little River Band and Traces by The Classics IV. This is the 1976 version by Marty Robbins which reached #1 on the Country Charts. Marty always had a fun when he performed. Here is Among My Souvenirs

And here is an earlier 1959 version by Connie Francis that reached #7 on the Top 100. The song was originally recorded in 1927 by the Paul Whiteman Orchestra - 

What's new in Bedford? A few observations from the past few days. There were kids in the pool this weekend, looked like the adults were staying on the deck. The Kroger flower tent is up in the parking lot, they probably need to build a permanent structure. Got my first mouthful of gnats this season, still taste terrible. The traffic circle at Cheek-Sparger/Central/Jackson is still a work in progress although you can now walk around it. The China Wok in the Kroger shopping center is now open, looks like standard Chinese fare. 

Euless has a new Dave & Busters. It's in the new development on the west side of 121 between Glade and Cheek Sparger. That's going to be a big shopping/eating area. I was by there a couple of weeks ago and none of the new buildings looked near completion. Guess I'll check it out again.

More stuff. New nearby customers for the new Dave & Busters.
Euless, Bedford agree on zoning for 37.1-acre multipurpose development

Hope you had a happy and safe Cinco de Mayo!
This is exactly what we need, more bowl games. 
Here is an unplanned music break. A certain old friend wanted a Golden Oldie this morning to get her day started. I picked this hit #1 from 1967 by Lulu that was also the title song of a Sidney Poitier movie which she was in. Here is To Sir With Love
This is the same song in 2007 by a then 58 year old Lulu. She still looked and sounded damn good to me.
Here is Lulu's version from 2010 on American Idol. This is not my favorite version. I think she fell into the trap of oversinging and overproducing that is the norm on Idol. Still not bad and she still looked fine.
Once every 25 or 30 years I splurge. Since I retired I usually wear sneakers or nothing mixed with flipflops or Topsiders. I have cowboy boots (required in Texas) and a few dress shoes left over from my working days for those special occasions. My Topsiders are at least 25 years old, maybe more. They have been worn thousands of times including a few times in the ocean. The tops are battered but still intact but the soles are fossilized and slippery, too slippery for my metal bike pedals. Today UPS delivered my new ones which cost substantially more. This could very well be the last pair I ever need. Maybe I'll have the old ones bronzed (kids, ask your parents or grandparents what bronzed means). Thanks for all the years of service old friends. 
Today (5/6) is Willie Mays' 84th birthday. He has been my favorite player since I was 4 or 5 years old when he was in New York. I think he is the best player ever and even if you disagree you have to admit he is among the top five. I feel lucky that I got to see him play live a few times when I lived in Atlanta. Another great player, Hank Aaron, was on that same field. Thanks Willie for all the joy you brought me during your magical career. Say Hey, Happy Birthday
While reporting on the rainstorms west of us and forecasting dire weather for us I heard a new term from our crack chief meteorologist. They are getting reports of hail size hail. Isn't pretty much all hail the size of hail. Maybe he meant hale size hail.
A sad day in baseball (5/7). Ass wipe A-roid officially passed the great Willie Mays for fourth place on the all-time home run leader board. Thankfully this didn't happen yesterday on Willie's birthday. 
I think my Nexus 7 (2013) just died. On power up it gets stuck on the Google logo. Tried a couple of recovery boots and a factory reset. Can't mount any directories. From all my research this usually means the motherboard is fried. Seems N7's are dying at a pretty good clip. Good job Asus and Google. Of course mine is out of warranty. Maybe tablet shopping is in my near term future. 

Happy Day to all Mothers. Thank you to the mothers of my two sons. Thank you to the mother of my two grandsons. Most of all thank you to my Mom. I wish I could tell you in person. I love you and miss you every day.
For this Mother's Day ‪#‎SongSunday‬ It seems appropriate to feature a song by my Mom's favorite singer. That would be the great Ella Fitzgerald. Mom had a couple of Ella's albums that she would play often. She would play them during the day so I would hear them after school or during the summers. Once dad got home from work the TV got turned on and the record player was off. Since the TV and big console record player were both in the living room it was an either/or situation. This reworked nursery rhyme was one of Ella's first big hits. It reached #1 in 1938. Here is A-Tisket, A-Tasket

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment