Translate

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Scattershooting 05-03-15

Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to 


Sunday's Summary

My incomplete recap of the week


Where is Walter Cronkite when you need him?

NBC News finds Brian Williams embellished at least 11 times
If a MLB game is played without spectators is it really a ballgame? Wonder if they'll still have the PA announcer, walkup music, scoreboard graphics, etc. I assume the game will be on TV and radio. 
Not a great day for Gator Nation. Billy Donovan is one of the best coaches and people in sports. He will be missed in Gainesville. While I'm sad for the Gators lose, I wish Billy all the best and much success in the NBA. He is a class act. Thanks for 19 great years of Gators Basketball.
GO GATORS! GO THUNDER!
We lost another music legend yesterday. Ben E. King died at age 76. King sang with The Drifters before his long solo career. Here is his most famous song that reached #1 on the R&B charts and #4 on the Hot 100 in 1961 then reached #9 again in 1986 with the release of the movie by the same name. Besides being the recording artist, King co-wrote Stand By Me. RIP 
I just hope I'm still able to ride when this finally gets built.

Today (5/1) is the 24th anniversary of Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter, he was 44 years old. He has three more no-hitters than anyone else. Too bad the Rangers couldn't find a way to keep him here in the front office.
Also today (5/1) in baseball, Roid Boy Rodriguez hit his 660th drug aided home run thereby tying the great Willie Mays for fourth place on the all-time HR list. Officially the list is Bonds, Aaron, Ruth and Mays/A-Roid. My list is Aaron, Ruth and Mays. I feel privileged to have been able to see Hank and Willie play in person. They didn't use juice to achieve their records, just talent and hard work. 
Today is World Naked Gardening Day. If you are so inclined, get naked and plant a bulb. For those who are members of my generation, please put up warning signs before you start. Also, be very careful with the gardening tools and around bees, thorns and poison ivy. Happy Gardening.

Remember everybody, May is National Bike Month.
This tune came into my earbuds the other day when I was out walking. It is on my phone and comes on every so often but this time it hit home. It is one of my favorite songs. I love the message and I am a fan of Glenn Shorrock, the original lead singer of Little River Band (LRB). This song also always reminds me of another favorite song by another favorite singer. Look below for that one. LRB put out several good tunes in the 70's & 80's. This song reached #3 in 1978. For this ‪#‎SongSunday‬ I offer Reminiscing -
Here is the other song for this #SongSunday. It rose to #2 in 1969. It is by the Classics IV (who started in Jacksonville) with lead singer Dennis Yost. A great song - 


wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment