Translate

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Scattershooting 01-18-15


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great

Sunday's Summary

My incomplete recap of the week


This post is an incomplete recap of the past two weeks since I didn't post on the 11th. 

It's time for ‪#‎TBT‬. As I mentioned a couple of days ago we lost one of the good guys. Uncle John was a WW II vet, police officer, firefighter and youth coach. A lifetime of service. Here is a picture of him with his family on their front stoop circa 1961. The second is Uncle John and me celebrating our birthday in 1950. We share the same birthday. RIP.



Got my electric usage email for the first week of January. It shows actual for the week and estimated cost for the next bill. It doesn't look good. This crappy cold, wet weather is not only damn unpleasant, it's expensive. I want sunshine and warmth. Unfortunately the second week in January was even worse.

I missed ‪#‎SongSunday‬ so let's do ‪#‎MusicMonday‬. I mentioned the good music on AXS last night (1/11). Here is a sample of The Mavericks stuff. Good musicians, good singer, good songs. They started in Miami in 1989 until 2004, took an eight year break and got back together in 2012. I think I became aware of them through lead singer's, Raul Malo, solo career. They never hit it real big, maybe because they don't fit into a specific genre. It's fun music for them and the audience. Here is Back In Your Arms Again -



I'm feeling a little sick. I was peacefully watching Letterman after which I thought would be some guest host for the departed Craig Ferguson. Drew Carey filled in last week. Instead it was a late night edition of The Talk, a daytime woman panel talk show and The View knockoff. I wonder if they got this late night gig because host Julie Chen is married to CBS CEO Les Moonves? I'm sure not, it must be because of her talent and because daytime women shows have the exact same demographics as midnight TV. Checked the TV schedule and these very talented women will be on all week. Just peachy. Luckily my remote changes channels very well.

Just saw that Everything German is opening their German market next to the restaurant today. Based on the pictures they posted, the merchandise looks a lot like that available at German Deli at 121 & Glade. This weather has been perfect for some good German food either at the restaurant or prepared at home.

Watched Charlie Rose tonight, 1/15, (I watch most nights) on PBS and the great Marcus Roberts was on. For those who don't know Marcus, he is a world renowned pianist and professor at FSU. He was born and raised in Jacksonville and educated at Florida D&B in St. Augustine. Blind since age five, he is one of the pillars of today's jazz community. Here is a rendition of one of his signature songs, What Is This Thing Called Love -


When looking on YouTube for the Marcus Roberts video I came across this strange fact. George and Ira Gershwin wrote a song titled How Long Has This Been Going On in 1928. Marcus recorded it and it is very nice. However, it is not the song I expected. I'm more familiar with the 1974 song by Ace which is officially titled How Long. First the Gershwin song, then the comments for the Ace song. I like them both.


Now the more recent rock version of How Long by Ace that reached #3 in 1974 -


For this ‪#‎TBT‬ I just grabbed the first envelop of old photos I came across. These two pictures are circa 1991, my oldest's high school graduation. The photos are of me and Kelly with his beloved Nana and Grandpa, my folks. We are leaning against his first car in front of his house in Valdosta. I hesitated to publish these due to my poor choice in wardrobe. I still have the shoes (well worn Top Siders) and often wear them. The car, house, shorts, shirt and my hair are long gone. Mom and Dad are gone too.


What is a guy to do? For the first time since late August there are no football games on this Saturday (1/17).

They have started the improvements at Bedford Boys Ranch. The first phase is fixing the drainage canal and redoing the playground. They are using a grader for some of this, but I think Bubba screwed up. The grader is about halfway into the canal and the front wheels are a couple of feet in the air. I didn't have a camera with me but it's like the one in the picture.

It's ‪#‎SongSunday‬. The local Oldies radio station is doing a "One hit wonders" weekend. One hit wonders are singers, musicians or groups who had one hit that made the top 40 but were never to be heard from again. Sometimes they disappeared completely and sometimes they reappeared in a different group or genre. Although not thought of as a one hit wonder this group only had one song that made the top 40, to #7, yet they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Most group members went on to future success. Here is the 1967 anthem by the Buffalo Springfield. Ironically the song title is never mentioned in the song For What It's Worth -


wjh




No comments:

Post a Comment