Translate

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Scattershooting 10-05-14


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great


Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week

Missed ‪#‎SongSunday‬ so I'll go with ‪#‎MusicMonday‬. This week's entry is both sides of the first 45 RPM record I bought. I had a small 45 turntable that I'm sure sounded like crap but I didn't notice or care. We were used to AM radio. The record was released in 1958. It reached #6 on the charts which is unusual for an instrumental. The song is Rebel Rouser and was written by Duane Eddy and Lee Hazelwood and performed by Duane. I met Duane in the mid 60's. He was playing a small teen club that was either in Vilano Beach or just across the bridge on the mainland. He was a nice guy and the song sounded way better live than on my little record player.


Here is the "B" side of the record which I think I liked just as much although it never charted. Here's Stalkin'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su6pT7F-fQ8

Interesting. Aretha Franklin was on Letterman tonight (9/29). I haven't seen much of her lately. She sang the Adele song Rolling In The Deep (We Could Have Had It All) which I thought was a little strange but it's on her new album. A couple of thoughts. She can still sing and it was a good performance. Big band and several backup singers supporting her. The other thought is that a woman of Aretha's age and size should not wear a strapless gown. Although not as big as she once was, there must be better wardrobe choices.

As far as my baseball teams go, we are done for the year. Texas, Tampa Bay and Atlanta are now in "wait 'til next year" mode. Nevertheless I will watch much of the playoffs. That's what baseball fans do. So, who do I root for? In the AL I'll probably go with Baltimore. They have a ton of former Rangers including their manager on the team. Maybe the Giants in the NL although they have an uphill battle as a wildcard team. I was a NY/SF Giants fan when I was a little kid because Willie Mays played for them. I think Willie retired a few years ago though. Let's see how the games unfold.
It's about time (pun intended).

MLB Implementing Experimental Pace of Play Rule Changes for Fall League


No surprise here. Good baseball and PR move. GO RANGERS!

Report: Michael Young joining Rangers' front office

For ‪#‎TBT‬ another trip way back in the archives. These are school photos of my dad at Washington School in Kearny, NJ. First is his 7th grade class in 1925. The next two are his 8th grade graduation class in June, 1926. Dad is the one in the slightly yellow circle. These are large pictures glued to even larger pieces of cardboard. Thanks again to my Mom for keeping all this stuff.



Here is a view of the same school as it looks today. Amazingly it is still in use as a school after all these years.

Something (10/02) finally got our D/FW Ebola epidemic (one person) off the news. We now have our trusty weatherman in his shirtsleeves reporting full time on our thunderstorms. I'm sure we will have more ominous Ebola news later when the storms pass.


Saturday we went to Oktoberfest in Southlake. Weather was be perfect (Sunny & 78°). Enjoyed some German beverages along with the craft vendors and some oompa music. Didn't get there in time for the wiener dog races at 10:00. Good luck to the Frick contestants. Met up with the Buchanan's later in the day.

Target advertising at it's best. I just received an email for big and tall clothing.

As expected, we had a great dinner at Truluck's tonight (10/4). Salmon for Penny and scallops for me along with a delicious Caesar salad and sides. Adult beverages were involved too, starting in the bar before being seated. There was a large doggy bag needed that included about half a carrot cake. Great food, great service, great atmosphere and of course the greatest company.


Time for ‪#‎SongSunday again. This week it is one of my favorite songs from a group many have never heard of. This acoustic ballad is not their normal style which is usually more like Van Halen. The group is Extreme which is really Gary Cherone and Nuno Bettencourt and two other guys. This song was written by Gary and Nuno. Gary sings it with guitar and harmony by Nuno. The song was released in 1990 and reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1991. I hope you enjoy the lovely More Than Words -


 Here is a bonus version of More Than Words from last year's The Voice. It was three of the contestants along with Nuno. It's a good rendition of the song but what struck me when I first saw it was that Nuno looks the same. The video above is from 1990 or 91, this one was 2013. Most rockers don't age that well in 20+ years.


wjh



No comments:

Post a Comment