Translate

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Scattershooting 05-18-14


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great

Sandy Koufax 

Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week


Bet your kids don't get this one.



From Twitter -
God @TheTweetOfGod 
Overwhelming scientific evidence suggests a startling number of people are capable of ignoring overwhelming scientific evidence.

It was another Bicycle Month Hump Day. A kind of cool May day here in D/FW but fine for a bike ride.

It keeps on keeping on. Today the Rangers placed two more of their starting pitchers, Perez and Harrison, on the DL. One might need Tommy John surgery and one may need a spinal fusion. In a related story, they also unveiled their new logo.
GO RANGERS!
somesome
Friday (5/16) was Bike To Work Day. I don't have any work to bike to but I'll figure out some other destination. Have a great day, ride a bike.

Time for testing. Just downloaded the ISO and booted from a USB stick. Plenty to test but new Mint releases are usually very solid. The Mate version is available too.

Saturday (5/17) was the 60th anniversary of the Supreme Court ruling in Brown v. Board of Education that struck down school segregation and the whole "separate but equal" farce. It would take more than ten years to implement the ruling in many places. Some of us lived through that often ugly period. We still have work to do.


Sunday morning while I was at Panera eating breakfast I noticed an electric bike chained to the same post I had chained my bike to earlier. Mine is on the other side of the patio screen. I later saw the rider, an old guy, crank it up and take off. He was on full power, no pedaling at all. Even later another old guy got on my bike and took off. He had to pedal.

I've posted a couple of things today about the Panera in Hurst, TX. One more thing. I got to the store about the time they opened at 7:30. There was already a short line to order. Before 7:45 I had ordered and gotten my coffee from an almost empty decanter/thermos (light roast) at the coffee counter. I chose a table by the window overlooking the outdoor patio since my bike was chained just outside that patio. I noticed one of the patio tables had dirty soup bowls, dishes and cups on it, obviously from the day before. I was there for over an hour and the patio table never got bused and the coffee decanter never got refilled. The place was not very busy, moderately steady but no big rush. Seems a little negligent. My breakfast sandwich was very good as was what coffee I was able to get. Maybe some management training and employee kickass is in order. The little details count.

wjh




No comments:

Post a Comment