Translate

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Scattershooting 04-27-14


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great

 Dick Groat

Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week

Good grief, the meteorologists on CBS11 have their jackets off. There are a couple of isolated thunderstorms southeast of Dallas. Had to change channels. Can't stand the hype about rain. BTW it's 82° and sunny at my place.

Damn, the channel 8 guy is coatless too, changed channels again.

Somehow the guy on FOX4 was able to do the weather with his jacket on and without the drama

Does anyone else find it ironic that Oscar Mayer has recalled hot dogs because they may contain cheese that is not listed on the ingredients. If you are eating hot dogs you obviously aren't too concerned about the ingredients. I can't wait to whip up some mechanically separated turkey and chicken for supper. Don't forget that pinch of sodium diacetate.
Oscar Mayer Classic Wieners -
Ingredients: MECHANICALLY SEPARATED TURKEY, MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, PORK, WATER, CORN SYRUP, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM BENZOATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, FLAVOR, SODIUM NITRITE.

Happy Earth Day (4/22). Hug a tree, conserve, reuse, recycle.

Last week was Navy Week here in D/FW. Kiss a sailor.



They were loading up the kitchen and bar equipment today (4/22) from the defunct Colleyville Cinema Grill. All the signs are already down. Wonder what will go into that big space? Two movie theaters have already failed in that location.

UpdateStudio Movie Grill is moving into the space and should open this spring.

Decided to eat lunch at Colleyville Town Center today before I did some grocery shopping. I had noticed a new place called Which Way. Didn't notice the first "h" and couldn't read the word pizza from across the parking lot so I thought it was a sandwich place. Nope, pizza, didn't want pizza. Went around the corner to McAllister's Deli which was fine. BTW, Which Way is not to be confused with Which Wich, which is a sandwich joint, in the same shopping center. How many which's and wich's are there in this story? I didn't see any witches.






More title bloat. Today (4/23) is Administrative Professionals Day which used to be Administrative Assistants Day which was once Secretaries Day. Whatever you call them, I had several damn good ones during my career. They saved my ass more times than I can count.

Time for #TBT. This edition consists of the angelic Mike Ryan and me. It's labelled Eucharistic Congress, Orlando, October 1959. I have many memories of being an altar boy but no recollection of this event and not sure exactly where the photo was shot. Mike and I were long time running buddies back then. A great guy. We didn't always dress this way. I don't know if I won or lost the coin toss for the lace surplice.

Time warp. Forgot I was watching something I recorded a few days ago. Paid attention to the severe storm weather bulletin until I realized that storm is long gone. Not the first time I've done this and probably not the last.

Not funny!

I have a bunch of juvenile sparrows visiting my patio. They are learning how to eat from the feeder or the ground but some still prefer mommy to feed them. Also some sibling rivalry going on. I think I have an additional new male cardinal too. Slightly different color and size than my old cardinal buddy. Fun to watch.

For your weekend planning. According to the professional chief meteorologist, if certain things happen we could have rain, if other things happen we could have severe storms and if still other things happen it could be worse or not as bad. Any rain also may occur early, late, both or not at all. Now I can lock in my weekend schedule.

Food for thought, if you are capable of that kind of brain activity -

Rode to the Target on Precinct Line today (4/25) and discovered two things. From the pedestrian bridge over Airport Freeway you can finally kind of figure out what it will look like when the construction is completed next year. The toll lanes are now defined in that area. Still a big mess though. The second discovery was Potbelly Sandwich Shop by the Starbucks. I had the Mediterranean:
Zippy Hummus, Feta, Artichoke Hearts, Crispy Cukes and
Roasted Red Peppers to which I added tomatoes, onions and hot peppers. Delicious. 


Just saw this in a Bed Bath & Beyond flyer. It's called a Chillsner® and costs $16.99. Nice idea, but a koozie is way cheaper (often free), more versatile and can sport a logo of your favorite team. What do you think?
 














We have a crisis here in Texas. I'm not sure if it is a real or manufactured crisis but it has our attention. There apparently is a lime shortage. Be it Mexican weather or Mexican drug cartels, there are fewer limes available and they cost more. Texas is dependent on limes for guacamole, Margaritas, fajitas and yes, Coronas with a lime slice for those who don't really like beer. I have four limes in the fridge and can't decide what to do with them. Should I use them like I usually do on a salad, as part of a marinade, in tea, a gin and tonic or some other consumption? Should I put them up for sale on eBay or put them in the safety deposit box? I'm thinking I'll probably just squeeze the suckers when needed. Lemons are not a good substitute.
Update: Today (4/27) limes were $1 each at the grocery store. A few days ago they were 5 for a $1. Real supply and demand or manufactured panic and hype?

Perfect -

Just watched an episode of This Old House. I always learn something from the show and am amazed by the skill of Tom Silva. If I had a bunch of money, I'd love to buy an old house and hire Tom to restore it. Maybe Norm could stop by to help out too.

From Twitter. God
@TheTweetOfGod
Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. In many cases this will mean showing up to the interview in a pirate suit.
I should have tried this - aaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggg


I wonder how long it will be before folks begin bitching about the heat? We have officially reached 90° at D/FW today. The computer on my bike registered 98° in the direct sun. With the 25 mph winds I'm sure the wind/chill temp was only about 95°. BTW, I ain't bitchin', I love the hot weather but I could do without the winds.

If you haven't already, now is the time to switch to Chrome or Firefox.


wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment