Translate

Monday, February 17, 2014

Scattershooting 02-16-14

by Bill Holmes



Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great

 Richard Boone

Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week

Less show, more ads. I just checked the CBS website to see if the Beatles special was available yet. Besides current shows, they have a few oldies videos. I noticed that an episode of Perry Mason from 1957 was 52:07 in length, MacGyver from 1990 was 47:54 and a current NCIS was 42:26. Of course to make up for shorter episodes there are fewer new episodes each season. I sure enjoy the extra commercial time. (2/10)

More proof -

Not the least bit surprised. Wish Nolan was still a Ranger.

Top world diplomacy issue from yesterday - French President shows up at White House state dinner alone. No wife, no mistress. I'm amazed we have not already gone to war with France. Western civilization will crumble any moment now.

Been thinking of Mom all day. She died 12 years ago today (2/13). Here she is with Matt, her second grandson, around 1996 maybe 97. She was on cloud nine whenever she was with her grandsons. Miss you Mom.
Nana & Matt

Looks like a Netflix kind of night. Nothing good on broadcast TV. One big advantage of Netflix is no obnoxious political ads.
It appears that there is some sort of minor holiday that shares this date (2/14) with a much more important event. Today is the start of the college baseball season. Florida, USF and TCU (vs JU) all have games tonight.

Go Gators, Bulls & Frogs!

Season two available today (2/14). Will the country survive with Frank as VP?

I like the number 7. 7 days in the forecast with temps that start with a 7. I foresee lots of biking in my near future.

I caught a little bit of the Olympics while waiting for the news after the TCU baseball game. It was men's figure skating. This guy, Yuzuru Hanyu, won the gold. I saw his performance and he fell twice. The rest of the field must be really crappy. BTW, nice outfit Yuzuru. This is not a sport.

Great win. #3 Gators beat the Wildcats @ Rupp Arena 69-59. Pull three games ahead in the SEC standings. #2 Arizona lost yesterday so maybe Florida moves up a slot in the rankings. (2/15)
GO GATORS!

My 2014 Olympic experience is complete. I saw some very exciting Women's Curling on Saturday after the news. I hope I'm able to calm down enough to go to sleep. I feel connected since I swept my patio earlier today.

"Pitchers and catchers report" those words are music to every baseball fan's ears. The Rangers pitchers & catchers report to spring training today (2/16). The rest of the guys show up on Wednesday. Play ball!

It seems a local Blue Jay has found my patio and its bird seed. He's pretty big and probably a bully. He chased off a couple of doves. The Blue Jay and the Cardinals eat the pieces too big for the doves and sparrows.


I didn't remember this, but the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan again on 2/16/1964. The show was broadcast from Miami. They sang six songs - ‘She Loves You,’ ‘This Boy’ and ‘All My Loving’,‘I Saw Her Standing There,’ ‘From Me to You’ and ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand'.

Watched the first two episodes of House of Cards season two tonight. No spoilers here, but the first episode has a surprise. Good stuff.

wjh


No comments:

Post a Comment