Translate

Monday, January 6, 2014

Scattershooting 01-05-14

by Bill Holmes



Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great  

Raymond Burr


Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week

Happy New Year to everyone! May 2014 be better than 2013. Let's be careful out there.

I don't seem to have any champagne or sparkling wine for tonight's celebration. Do you think I could mix some chardonnay with some tonic water? I have those.

Happy New Year to my east coast friends and family!


Now it's 2014 in Texas. Happy New Year!

Not mine. I killed them all years ago.

Who cares if the football team sucks or the basketball team is mediocre. We have a champion mascot.

At this time of year I'm in favor of some global warming.

Protest against Global Warming 

This is what was on TV New Year's Eve before Dick Clark's New Year's  Rockin  Eve began. 




Today, 1/2, is my oldest son's birthday. Because he is a career Naval officer, he gets to spend this birthday about 7,500 miles from his wife and two young sons. It's not the first birthday or holiday away from home, it may not be the last. How about we figure out how to keep most of these folks home for the important life events. Happy birthday Kelly.

There was a new series premier on ABC last night. It's called The Assets and is a 1980's cold war CIA mole spy story. Don't waste your time. It is slow moving, badly acted and full of cliches.

Good news for fans of old westerns. Maverick is now on Encore Westerns weekday afternoons. It replaces Loredo which was one of the worst TV western series. Give Bret and Bart a look.

Phil Everly died Friday, 1/3/14, at the age of 74. If you are of a certain age you know they were giants of the early rock n roll era. Their harmony was impeccable. Here are a couple of my favorites. Phil is on the left. RIP Phil and thanks for the music.




I watched a very unorthodox movie Sunday night titled Seven Psychopaths. The movie is from 2012 but I just recorded it a few days ago on Showtime. A very strange movie. I probably can't recommend it for most people. If you like weird with some violence it may be worth a look. Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson and Tom Waits are creepy good.

  • Had to write a check today. I only write one or two a month these days. Luckily I remembered to write the year MMXIV.

wjh





No comments:

Post a Comment