Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Scattershooting 11-03-13

by Bill Holmes


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great 

Richie Ashburn


Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week

I think after 30 years this Texas living is starting to rub off on this Florida boy. I usually have yogurt and green tea for breakfast. Today I had a craving for peanut butter. Naturally I got out a tortilla, spread some PB on it then added some jalapeno jelly. Delicious. I probably should have had a Dr. Pepper with it but I stuck to tea.


This looks a little fancier than the one I received a few years ago.
Coming soon to a mailbox near you: #USF admission letters!



Bill  changed his profile picture.  -  Under protest - flawed riddle and answer.

A couple of days ago I suffered a serious kitchen injury. I grabbed something with my left hand and my thumb kinda locked up and/or jumped out of it's socket. It has been barking at me a little since, but not too bad. Well, tonight I reached for an adult beverage and it locked up again. This could have been catastrophic because there was almost spillage. Both my thumbs have been a problem for a few years and I don't know if it's just age & arthritis or because I mangled them so often playing baseball and softball. I'm going with the sports injury story because I'm not getting old.

Mary - Look up 'trigger thumb'. Also, ask Glenda about it, she got hers fixed. I have it in my left thumb but it comes and goes.

Me - That's it. Mine's not bad either, but it happens or comes close to happening almost every time I take off my biking gloves. Feels like my thumbs are coming off with the gloves. If I start spilling beverages because of it I'll get it fixed.

Is it possible for anyone in Washington to tell the truth?

Don't worry, by the end of the day (10/30) we'll have all the answers on Obamacare. Kathleen Sebelius, our extremely competent Secretary of Health and Human Services will testify before our extremely competent congress. There will be no egos or politics, just honest and open fact finding followed by quick solutions. Teamwork at it's best. I feel better already.

Happy for the World Champion Red Sox. Sad that the 2013 baseball season is over. Spring training starts in February.

Adios to Tim McCarver. I've seen him play and I've listened to him broadcast. He aggravated me sometimes doing both but I always knew he loved and respected the game and it's history. Happy retirement Tim.

Not fully realizing the sports season is changing, I had a slight jolt today. Checking upcoming games for teams I follow I came across the listing Jacksonville vs FSU. My first thought was maybe the Jaguars could beat the Noles. Then I realized my error. The Jags can't beat anybody. 

Of course what I saw was the listing for an upcoming basketball game between the Jacksonville University Dolphins and FSU. It's almost college hoops time.
It's officially Halloween - let's be careful out there.

Had to make a quick ride to the store. Needed some beer to hand out to the kiddies tonight. Cans of course, wouldn't want any broken glass.

My unknown plant out front has sprouted some fruit or vegetables. Looks like a small pumpkin or acorn squash. I don't think the harvest will be big enough to see me through the winter.

My lucky day. I got a couple of skunky Pabst beers the other day. Only a couple of cans out of a 12 pack. I sent their QA department an email with the codes from the beer, Well, look what they sent me along with a very nice letter. Pretty good customer service.

It was a great day for a bike ride, temps in the 70's. I rode to Walmart. What a mess. They were doing the Halloween to full Christmas transition. I went to get something in the garden shop. There is no garden shop. It's all Christmas stuff. Even the outdoor part is mostly bicycles. Where did all that Halloween candy go?

The search begins to find all the things I own that have clocks. Some like phones and computers will change automatically. Some I see and use every day so I'll change them tonight or tomorrow. Others I'll stumble across about when it's time to change back to daylight savings time. Good luck with your hunt.


The downside of going back to standard time. Sunset at 5:30.

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment