Translate

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Scattershooting 02-22-15


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great

Sunday's Summary

My incomplete recap of the week


For the most part I enjoyed the SNL 40th anniversary show. Lotsa good clips and reenactments. A few flat spots but that's to be expected in a 3½ show. I do have one question, what in the hell do Kanye West, Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift have to do with SNL @ 40?

Only in Texas - This is a $12 million 45,000 sq. ft. facility with gun range, shopping, dining, gym, bar and more. VIP memberships available. Seems like an excellent idea to me to have a bar at a gun range. It was referred to as a guntry club in the news story I saw.

The Nation's Premiere Indoor Shooting Range


A sad entry for ‪#‎MusicMonday‬. Lesley Gore died today. She was a big singing star in the mid 60's. I saw her once live at one of those caravan of stars shows that came through Jacksonville in the 60's. Besides being sad, her death is scary because she was just a tad older than me. RIP Lesley. It's My Party was her first and biggest hit, but I like this one better. It reached #2 in 1964, here is You Don't Own Me



Watched the Stevie Wonder tribute tonight. Pretty damn good show. Lotsa different artists singing Stevie's songs most of which were just fine. All that topped by Stevie singing his own songs for the last 20 minutes. He sure had a lot of great songs. I'm sure the show will show up online somewhere in it's entirety or in pieces on YouTube.

Heads up everybody. Today (2/18) is the last day to date your checks with a horse. Tomorrow starts the year of the goat.

Happy New Year!


Life is good. Temps in the 50's, sunny and no wind. Just got back from bike ride/shopping. Saw best buddy I haven't seen in a couple of weeks. Got home, opened a cold beer, turned on Pandora and got in the recliner. The 17 minute version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida came on. Brings back memories of when FM radio was just getting started and getting herbed up. Mellow.

A short north Bedford report (2/19). Work continues, I think, at Boys Ranch. It is very hard to catch actual work being done. The lake seems to be getting lower and the ducks seem to be getting friskier. Walked through the new Dollar Bazaar next to Kroger for the first and last time. Strange conglomeration of junk and two eight-liner type machines in the corner. Also peeked into the under construction China Wok in the same shopping center. Looks like a counter service place with room for just a very few tables. The Bark Park was busy including a Chocolate Lab humping a Black Lab. I did not find a "No Fornication" rule on the sign so I guess it was OK. Don't know if humans can fornicate there too.


Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. Here is a picture from my first birthday. I'm a few inches taller now but have less hair. It has been a few years but I still have the coffee table and the couch in the picture.

Probably in honor of my birthday, the Texas Rangers pitchers and catchers reported for spring training today. I'm ready for some baseball.

GO RANGERS!


This post is purely for informational purposes. I'm sure no one I know would ever actually celebrate this event.

During the Grammy's last week they did the requisite "those we lost this year" segment. I knew about most of them but there were two I had missed. For this ‪#‎SongSunday‬ I'm featuring one of them, Tim Houser, who died last October at age 72. Don't know the name? He was a founding member of The Manhattan Transfer, a group that rarely made the charts but has made good music for years. Here is their top chart hit from 1981 that reached #4 on the adult contemporary list and #7 on the Top 100. This is The Boy from New York City -

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment