Translate

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Scattershooting 02-08-15


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great

Sunday's Summary

My incomplete recap of the week

I thought the Nissan commercial was bad, didn't realize it was also insensitive.

God @TheTweetOfGod 
For the record, Harry Chapin died in a car crash. Thanks for the reminder, Nissan.  ‪#‎SBcommercials‬



At the half I notice a very touchy feely (schmaltzy) theme to the commercials. Remember when funny used to rule? I like funny more.

I'm sure glad they finally did a simple, unplugged kind of halftime show.

Overall I think the game was better than the commercials this year. That's often not the case.

OK, football season is officially over. The good news is that there are only 18 days until baseball spring training.

GO RANGERS!
 













My mind is a strange thing. For some reason 2:10, 6:18, 10:44 popped into my head. Those lines are part of the lyrics to Doesn't Anybody Know My Name?. The song was made famous by The Kingston Trio and written by Rod McKuen. Rod died last week and yesterday (2/1) was original K3 founder and only surviving member Bob Shane's birthday. Here is a ‪#‎MusicMonday‬ entry -

And here is the much more raspy version by songwriter Rod McKuen -


And here I thought a crocodile was involved -

Good news, bad news with my buddies at AT&T. I called today to make some changes to my account. I got cut-off once and on the second try got into some kind of forwarding loop. Seem ironic that the phone company has such a crappy phone system. Third time was the charm. Got the changes done by Bud, a very competent service rep. On a related note, I received an email from AT&T yesterday stating that I could double my internet speed and get $5 off my bill for 6 months then the price goes up. Bud, without me asking, found that I could triple my internet speed for one year at no additional cost and no contract obligations.

We went to Everything German today (2/3) for lunch. First time we had been since they moved to their new location on Grapevine Hwy. It's a much nicer space, the food is still delicious and they now serve beer and wine. They also have added a German deli next door that we didn't have time to check out this trip.

OK, how do you misremember that the helicopter you were in was hit by enemy fire or in this case that it was not hit? It seems to me that having your aircraft hit by an RPG might stick in your mind. Just another example of more hype by the media. No need to distinguish between fact and fiction.


Today (2/6) would have been Bob Marley's 70th birthday. Here's a little tropical music for this winter. Happy Birthday Mon - 

Seems fair that Bob Marley the steer won best in show at the Ft. Worth Stock Show on Bob Marley the reggae singer's birthday -
Bob Marley the Steer
So now that RadioShack is going casters up, where in the hell are we supposed to get our TRS-80's serviced? Plus I need an RCA to coax to colorstream to cat 5 to USB to HDMI cable.

I was doing my usual computer stuff while the TV was on. It was tuned to a second tier cable channel like History or Travel or Science. Just background noise for the most part. I notice that Jose Canseco was doing a commercial for some kind of testosterone supplement and stiffy pills. Two separate bottles. I can't imagine anyone listening to Canseco for advice on any subject. Better living through chemistry.

Since the Grammy Awards are tonight (2/8) I thought I'd give this ‪#‎SongSunday‬ a Grammy flavor. What was song and record of the year in 1965, 50 years ago? Rock & Roll was firmly entrenched by that year. The Beach Boys and Beatles were topping the charts. Despite that, the Grammy's were kinda stuck in the past. The song of the year was Hello Dolly by Louis Armstrong and record of the year was The Girl from Ipanema by Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz. Both good songs. The Beatles were named Best New Artist. Here's the Song of the Year 1965 - 

And here is the Record of the Year 1965 -

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment