Translate

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Scattershooting 12-07-14


Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to the great

Sunday's Summary

My incomplete recap of the week

59 years ago today (12/1) Rosa Parks was tired so she didn't give up her seat on the bus to a white passenger. That was a very courageous act in 1955 Montgomery, AL. I was living in the deep south back then. Blacks were suppose to know their place and their place was at the back of the bus. Thanks Rosa. Unfortunately there is still work to be done.

Gotta do a ‪#‎TuneTuesday‬ post. Last night one of the contestants, DaNica Shirey, on The Voice sang the Heart song These Dreams. It's a 1986 song co-written by Bernie Taupin, the long-time Elton John collaborator. I'm a Heart fan and like this song. It is one of the few that Nancy sings the lead on, usually Ann sings lead. The song reached #1 on Billboard. This video also shows that back in the day the Wilson sisters were babes. I like this original more than the version on The Voice.

Here is DaNica Shirey's version from The Voice -


OK, this is just plain spooky. I noticed that Encore Westerns will be airing a Wanted Dead or Alive marathon New Year's Day. I haven't seen any episodes of this Steve McQueen show in years. I whipped over to Wikipedia to see exactly when and how long the show originally aired. I also had Pandora streaming. As I was reading the Wiki article the Bon Jovi song Wanted Dead or Alive came on Pandora. Life is strange. 





A long standing Holmes family tradition

Some Roman numeral humor, always a crowd pleaser -

I just got my November report card from Pandora. I didn't even know I was being graded. Seems I listened to 1,101 songs and Southern Rock was my favorite genre. To be honest I don't know if that is good or bad. Did I make an A or did I fail? Can't wait to see how I do in December.

Let's go back to the start of my formal education for ‪#‎TBT‬. Here are photos of my first and last day of kindergarten at Queen of Peace school. All the pictures of these events are labeled Pre Primer so I guess that is what kindergarten was called back in ancient times. Can't imagine today's kids putting on a suit for school, even the first day.
 — in North Arlington, New Jersey.
 


















Done. Upgraded Linux Mint to release 17.1 (Rebecca) today (12/4). The new upgrade path via the Update Manager worked like a charm. Took about 15 minutes total. Only problem was one applet that didn't load.

Must be my day (12/4) for software upgrades. This afternoon I updated my laptop to Linux Mint 17.1. A little while later my Nexus 7 tablet notified me that the Android 5 Lollipop update was ready to install. I was wondering when my Android OTA update would finally get here. Turns out I actually got 5.0.1 version. The Android upgrade took way longer than the Linux upgrade.

Finally went to HWY 55 for lunch today. The place was about ¾ full. It's decorated minimally with a faux 50's theme. Some vinyl records on the walls, pink and light blue upholstery and a little chrome.
I ordered the Andy size cheeseburger with Swiss, onion, lettuce, tomato and jalapenos. I also had an order of regular fries and tea. Everything was average, good but nothing special. The burgers are served on a generic white burger bun. The hamburger patty was cooked past medium (I wasn't asked how I wanted it cooked) with no grill marks or crisp edges. The toppings were fresh but again nothing special, the jalapenos were mild which is not why I ordered them. The fries are pretty good. They are thin cut, were piping hot and had some crispy bits and ends which I like. They were barely salted which is OK with me but I think most people would want to add salt. The bill was a little over $8 without tip. They also have shakes, floats and frozen custard. Probably a good place to take the kids. The place is similar to Steak 'n Shake but with a more limited menu.
I'm sure I'll stop in again since it is convenient, fast and I often shop at the Kroger next door. I'll probably try something other than a burger next time. If you are just looking for a burger, there are better ones right across the street at Twisted Root plus you can get an adult beverage there.

While this is not my favorite Little Anthony and the Imperials, it is a good one and I thought it appropriate for this ‪#‎SongSunday‬. This is how TCU feels today after the College Playoff bracket was announced. The Imperials were formed in 1958. They had a string of hits in the 60's including this song that rose to #15 on the Pop chart and #8 on R&B in 1964 according to one source. Another source lists it at #5 in October '64. The higher ranking seems right to me. Here is I'm on the Outside (Looking In) -

Here is the same song 40 years later. They still sounded pretty damn good - 


12/07/41 - It was 73 years ago today. Most of the survivors are now gone too. Thank you and RIP. Unfortunately we are still at war today.

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment