Translate

Thursday, January 2, 2020

Very Random Thoughts - December 2019

  • I'm so glad that Michael Bloomberg is running nationwide TV political ads for his presidential run. I was afraid we wouldn't have any political ads here in Texas before next year's primaries. 
  • When is the last time you saw a tap dancer, not counting kids or grandkids recitals?
  • Once again at Christmas, we had many advertisements for perfumes and colognes. I do not understand a single one. 
  • A titmouse has nothing to do with a mouse or a tit. 
  • It is starting to change, but I never understood why the home team in basketball wore white, usually rather drab uniforms, instead of the school colors. 
  • One of the advantages of the digital age, fewer paper cuts.
  • A related advantage, I no longer get newsprint all over my hands and everything else. I now read the newspapers on a tablet, phone, or PC.
  • Does anyone send real Christmas cards via snail-mail? I got two this year, one from a dear friend with a personal note. Nice.
  • Is Scientology still a thing?
  • Is Catholocism still a viable religion? Do they have any moral capital left? 
  • How many times in 2019 did a good guy with a gun stop a bad guy with a gun not counting law enforcement people?
  • Almost every expert and talking head on TV should be required to preface their bloviating with "in my opinion".
  • I always encouraged my kids to leave beer and cheese & crackers out for Santa. No milk & cookies needed while trying to assemble the kid's presents. 
  • I'm always amazed at how sick people get when they have to go on trial or to jail. Bill Cosby went blind, Paul Manafort got gout and now has heart problems. Harvey Weinstein now needs a walker and or two assistants to walk. Many others too. The rich seem to get much sicker. 
  • The term for flying the flag in respect and mourning is half staff. Half mast refers to a broken or incomplete mast on a ship. 
  • If you put a fitted sheet and a fitted mattress pad in the dryer together, you will get one or two big balls of laundry at the end of the cycle. 
  • I sometimes think that there is a central clearinghouse for questions journalists ask of politicians. They all seem to have the same questions framed in almost the exact same words. 
  • I find it a little creepy that Jimmy Dean Sausage is still using Jimmy's voice and pictures in their TV commercials. He's been dead since 2010. 
  • We probably should stop saying something is filmed or even taped. Nowadays, almost all video is digitally recorded. No film, no tape. 
  • I'm always very suspicious when a product advertisement states not available in stores.
  • I wonder how much the members at Doral or Bedminster hate it when Trump shows up to play golf? It has to be extremely disruptive. 
  • What's the cutoff for something to still be Breaking News? Is it 15 minutes, an hour, four hours, a day, a week? 
  • Sometimes it's not so much that "you can't go home again" as it is "I don't want to go home again".
  • Between the holidays and being retired, I have no idea what day it is. 
wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment