Translate

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Chromebooks

I've been a professional computer guy since the late '60s. Obviously, I have seen a ton of changes. What used to cost millions of dollars and take up thousands of square feet of air-conditioned space now fits in your pocket. I've worked or played with most iterations of these technical advances. Even though I'm now retired from the IT industry, I still play around with technology. I have a couple of laptops, a couple of tablets, numerous smartphones and smart home stuff. 

This post is about my latest technology purchase, a Chromebook. For the average home user who wants a real keyboard and a decent size screen, this is the way to go. A Chromebook looks like a standard laptop. For the most part, Chromebooks are cheaper, often faster, and simpler than a Windows or Mac PC. Software and security updates are automatic, seamless, and current. They typically have better battery life. The one I bought (on sale) was $199, has a 10-hour battery and weighs about 212 lbs. Yes, a Chromebook is a niche device but all technology fits a niche. There are no devices that fit every need or everyone. The Chromebook's niche is pretty big. 
The simple explanation of a Chromebook is a laptop that only runs the Chrome browser. That was never completely accurate and it becomes less accurate as time goes by.  Chromebooks run ChromeOS instead of Windows or macOS or Linux. Because ChromeOS is a lightweight operating system, a Chromebook can provide good performance on less powerful, cheaper hardware than Microsoft or Apple. Because most of the computing happens on the web or cloud, there is also no need for a big local disk or SSD on the devices. 

Here is the bottom line question. If you fire up your PC or Mac then immediately open a browser like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or some other, then stay in that browser almost all day or session, a Chromebook may be for you. Even if you leave your internet browser on occasion to run a native Windows or Mac program, a Chromebook may still be for you. Many of those native PC or Mac programs have a web or Android app versions or equivalents. If not that, maybe a Linux program. ChromeOS can run all of those. The Linux stuff is slightly more complicated but not too daunting especially if you have a techie friend or family member to set it up. 

There are some industry-specific or niche software products that only run on Windows, macOS, or Linux but most home users don't need them.  

While I've only been using my Chromebook for a couple of weeks, I have found zero times I needed to fire up my Windows laptop to perform a task. Like most of you, I stay in the Chrome browser most of the day. I'm typing this in the Blogger web application. I have installed a couple of Android apps which ChromeOS uses by default in place of the web version. I have also turned on Linux and downloaded one app so far. That app is GIMP, mostly to test Linux and also because I have used GIMP to edit photos in the past. I suspect 95% of ChromeOS home users will never need to mess with the Linux option. 

While I can do most of my daily tasks on a phone or tablet, I also need a real keyboard. Partly because I do a fair amount of writing, like this blog, and partly because I grew up with real keyboards. First with typewriters (kids, ask your grandparents what a typewriter is), then on keypunch machines and computer consoles, then on computer terminals, later on, PCs and laptops, and finally on my new Chromebook. There are also times when a bigger screen is preferable. 

If you are in the market for a new PC, you owe it to yourself to check out Chromebooks. You may be able to get a cheaper, faster, lighter device that meets your needs. Do a little research, check with friends, run by a Best Buy and test drive one. 

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment