Translate

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The Shortest Distance

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. 

Or is it? Apparently not in the FedEx universe. I had an electronic device that needed to be repaired. The repair company sent me the packaging and prepaid FedEx label to return the device in. The box was sent from the Chicago area to me in the DFW area. It traveled from:
  1. Schaumburg, IL.
  2. Memphis, TN
  3. Dallas, TX
  4. Irving, TX
  5. My front door
Not too convoluted a route considering Memphis is FedEx's main hub.

I packed up the device and took it to a nearby FedEx office in Colleyville, TX. The destination was Grapevine, TX. Those two towns border each other so of course, the FedEx route was:
  1. Colleyville, TX
  2. Irving, TX
  3. Dallas, TX
  4. Memphis, TN
  5. Ft. Worth, TX
  6. Irving, TX
  7. Grapevine, TX (delivered)
A little more involved. Just for fun, I looked on Google Maps. The FedEx store in Colleyville is about 12 miles (15 minutes) from the repair location. So of course, the route via Memphis and several other cities makes perfect sense.

The DFW and Memphis airports are about 480 miles apart, probably a little less as the crow flies. Let's say that's at least 900 miles the package travels roundtrip not counting the ground travel on both ends of the flight. That seems like about 888 miles farther than necessary. 

I wonder how the device will be returned to me. I checked and I live 13.9 miles (17 minutes) from the repair company location. I'm guessing Memphis and much of North Texas will again be involved. 

I'm pretty sure that except for the originator and delivery drivers, no human eyes ever look at the shipping label. Ain't technology and algorithms great? 

wjh

No comments:

Post a Comment