Translate

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Ebony & Ebony Beer


I'm pretty sure that we have mentioned Turning Point's Ebony & Ebony beer before. I'm also pretty sure that we have not officially reviewed it on the "Two Old Guys Drinking Beer" podcast. So I'm here to rectify that situation. 

Turning Point is a local Bedford, TX brewery. They brew a ton of different beers. Most very good, some not to my taste. They have a large taproom that is open Tuesday through Sunday 4:00 to 9:00. They always have several beers on tap and a few available in cans/four packs. On occasion, they have a food truck there. You can also bring your own food or snacks. They have trivia contests and other special events. Check their Facebook page for details.

So, on to Ebony & Ebony. This is a robust stout in the tradition of Guinness Stout. It is smooth and delicious. I like it. This beer is stout in more ways than one. It is a very stout 10.5% ABV (alcohol by volume) so be careful. The IBU (international bitterness units) is listed at 55 but it does not seem that bitter to me. So far it is the second best beer from Turning Point. My favorite is Oatipus Complex. It is similar to E&E but smoother. It is also a little less potent at 7.5% ABV. While I rate both beers a 4 out of 5, given the choice, I would pick Oatipus. Creamy, full-bodied. Some people don't like Guinness because it has a little rusty nail hint. No such problem with Oatipus, although Ebony & Ebony does have a hint of iron flavor. Both are very good, Ebony and Oatipus. These are destination beers, meant to be savored and/or consumed with a rich meal. They are definitely not what is called a sessionable beer.

My partner in crime on the podcast, Dennis, and I both like stouts. Dark, robust, flavorful beer is good. Many lagers and ales are fine. Light/Lite beer is bad. Fruit infused beer is very bad. Sour or Gose beer is undrinkable. So keep that in mind when reading my beer reviews. 

We have tasted several other Turning Point brews. Lots are cloudy IPAs. Some have fruity additives. Several of the IPAs were indistinguishable from each other to my untrained palate. I would encourage you to stop by Turning Point Brewery if you are in the neighborhood. Try a flight of beers. The staff will be more than happy to explain the various beer choices. They have a style or flavor for just about everyone's taste. Support your local brewer.

Cheers! 


wjh

Update - I drank my last Ebony & Ebony about a month or so after we purchased them. This time I poured it into a traditional pint glass. Disappointing, while the beer was a rich dark brown, there was hardly any head. Is this on purpose or did the beer deteriorate in a month? Still delicious, but a decent head is important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment