Translate

Monday, July 22, 2013

Scattershooting 7-21-13

by Bill Holmes

Scattershooting while thinking of the great Blackie Sherrod - Sunday's Summary


My incomplete recap of the week


Besides the "heat" in the northeast, we also have to deal with the "Royal Birth". I'm not sure I can stand all this hard news. Why the hell would anyone be concerned about the birth of a maybe future king/queen who has no power over the government of their country. Especially a country that we fought to free us from a monarchy. I love hard hitting fact based news.


OK, it's predicted to be 98° in NYC today (7/18) and that's the lead story on CBS This Morning. Whenever we're under 100° in July and August we celebrate in D/FW. Could it possibly be that the major media is based in NYC and biased? Oh, and that they're all weenies? No, I'm sure all their coverage is fair and balanced.


When I got putzing around this morning I noticed several mud spots on the entrance & kitchen tiles. There is also a thin brown line that looks like a bike tire track. I have no idea how this happened. Since I live alone I can only assume that someone broke into my apartment, rolled a muddy bike through the entrance and then left without taking anything. I'm hoping the perpetrator comes back to clean up the mess.


What the hell is wrong with these people? US Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) has suggested that we boycott the Winter Olympics in Russia if they don't turn Edward Snowden over to us. Why would we want to punish US athletes who have been working for years for their one shot at the Olympics? Oh wait, Graham hasn't worked hard ever. The drugs in Washington must be fantastic. They never let even a hint of reality sneak in. 


Really? You are doomed if you don't Tweet, Facebook or Pinterest. It pays to be a geek. Follow the Pope.
It's not bad enough that our dysfunctional US Congress can't pass any legislation. Now they want to delay parts of Obamacare that have already been signed into law. By delay the Republicans actually mean stall until we can repeal. I don't know whether Obamacare will turn out to be a good or bad law. I do know that businesses and individuals would like a little certainty in planning their healthcare options. It's time to do something and stick with it even if it's not perfect. Shit or get off the pot Congress.


Some folks have too much time on their hands. Researchers use urine to power Samsung cell phone



Sue the bastards. Even if Asiana wins this suit I don't think it will cover the damages from the suits against them. Seems like having incompetent pilots is a little worse than getting their names wrong.



Those were great days.

The new Nokia Lumina 1020 phone has a 41 megapixel camera. That might be a little overkill for me. My old eyes won't be able to see the difference. My old face certainly won't look good with 41 megapixels of wrinkles. Fuzzy is better at my age.

Just what America needs - Twinkies are back. Now we'll be able to recapture the fattest nation title that Mexico recently took from us. Kroger had signs at the door advertising this great event.
 

Sunday morning - Nice bike ride this morning. Temps OK but humid. Lotsa people and critters out. Had a beautiful eagle take off right in front of me. Everything green, creeks and ponds full. There was some very fresh armadillo roadkill on John McCain Rd. just west of 26. Wasn't even pancaked yet. My legs were OK after 30 miles but my arthritic elbow and hands are a little sore. Could I be getting old?

The 2013 Tour de France, the 100th tour, ends today with an easy 83 mile ride. The last miles of a 2,115 mile tour. For the first time ever it will be a night finish on the Champs-Elysées.  

Stage 21: Versailles to Paris/Champs-Elysées

The 100th edition of the Tour comes to a conclusion with the peloton starting in the gardens of the Palace of Versailles, passing the Jacques Anquetil monument, through the courtyard of the Louvre and finishing with a ride around the Arc de Triomphe. 

Congratulations to Chris Froome on his win.










No comments:

Post a Comment